Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions - Driving

Below there will be external links which will provide information about:

  • Driving Offences
  • What happens when you are stopped?
  • What can the Police do?
  • What road offences result in disqualification from driving?
  • What road offences result in vehicle seizure?
  • What road offences result in arrest and imprisonment?

In the UK, as you probably know, people drive on the left hand side of the road. Speed limits are shown in miles; 1 mile =1.60 kilometres. For complete information on driving rules in the UK, please consult the Highway Code.

Driving licence
To drive a vehicle or ride a motorcycle legally in the UK you must:
• hold the appropriate driving licence for the vehicle being driven
• meet driver minimum age requirements
• meet the legal eyesight standards

As a learner driver you must:

• be supervised by a qualified driver (not if riding a motorcycle)
• display L plates (L = learner; these are white signs with an "L" in red).

Car insurance protects motorists against liability in the event of accidents they may cause. It can also provide cover for the motorist's own vehicle in case of fire, theft or accidental damage.
Before using any vehicle, every motorist must have at least third party motor insurance. This is to make sure that, in the event of an accident, there is financial compensation to cover any injuries caused to other people or damage to other people's property, above any excess you are required to pay.

The MOT (Ministry of Transport) is a yearly inspection for vehicles over three years old and is required by law. It can only be conducted at Centres approved by VOSA (Vehicle and Operator Services Agency).

To drive a vehicle or ride a motorcycle legally in the UK you must display a current tax disc. This shows that Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) (also known as car tax) has been paid so that the vehicle can be used on the public road. Costs vary  for a car or motorcycle, depending on CO2 emissions and fuel type for vehicles registered on or after 1st March 2001. For vehicles registered before that date, the car tax payable is dependent on the cubic capacity of the engine.

There are a number of forms and procedures to be completed before you drive your car on the public road: