Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions - Welfare

Child Benefit is a tax-free regular payment made to anyone bringing up a child or young person. It is paid for each child that qualifies and isn't affected by income or savings, so most people bringing up a child can get it.

Who is eligible?

You'll be able to get Child Benefit if you're bringing up:

A tax credit is a payment from the government to help with everyday living expenses. If you work for at least 16 hours a week but earn low wages, you may be eligible for this. If you are responsible for a child who normally lives with you, you may be eligible for this, regardless of whether you work or not. There are two types of Tax credits, working tax credits and child tax credits.

This is some very basic information about benefits.  There are a lot of rules and conditions to most benefits.  You should always get independent advice about what benefits you may be entitled to, and help filling in the form, either from the Job and Benefits Office, Citizen's Advice Bureau (CAB), or from another advice service. 

This is a test to see if you intend to make the your home in the UK. You need to pass this test to get certain benefits.

If you are making a claim for Income Support, Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance or Housing Benefit you will need to pass the ‘habitual residence test’. The Habitual Residence Test checks to see if you have made the British Isles your normal home. This has to be in the UK, Ireland, Channel Islands or the Isle of Man.

Who doesn’t have to pass the test