Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions - Employment

There are 5 ways workers can find employment 
Job Centre: At the Job and Benefit’s Office local employers advertise current job vacancies free of charge   -  Updated daily. 

When you get a job and have receive your start date you must report to work at the time and on the date agreed.

On the first day of employment it is good practice to give the employee some induction training. This training varies from one company to another
During the induction you will receive information about the company’s rules & regulations, health and safety, emergency procedures, who is the line manager and what is expected of you.

Employment agencies find job placements, sometimes called ‘assignments’ for agency workers. Companies pay the agency a fee to hire workers for them. Your contract of employment or contract for service is likely to be with the agency rather than with the company where you work.

The National Minimum Wage is a set amount of money almost all the people working legally in the UK have a legal right to be paid.
If you are not paid the National Minimum Wage, call the National Minimum Wage Helpline on 0845 6000 678. The information you will receive will be confidential; they can help you to claim the national minimum wage as well as any pay your employer owes you in arrears.

At present, the National Minimum Wage is:

All employees, regardless of the number of hours they work per week, are entitled to receive a written statement from their employer, within two months of starting work. The statement describes the main terms of the contract of employment.  The statement must give details about: job title, wages, hours of work , holiday entitlement, sick pay , pension schemes , notice , grievance, dismissal and disciplinary procedure.

A contract may refer to other terms and conditions which may be contained in the Company Handbook.

There is a minimum right to ‘paid holiday’, but your employer may offer more than this. The main things you should know about holiday rights are:


Any national of the A8 countries (Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia or Slovenia) who wishes to work in the UK must register under the WRS.

The WRS is required for the first 12 full months of employment in UK.

An employee has the right to join a trade union, and should not be refused a job, dismissed, harassed or selected for redundancy because they are a member of or wish to join a trade union.

An employee also has the right not to join a trade union if they wish, and should not be refused a job, dismissed, harassed or selected for redundancy because they refused to join.

If you are too ill to work, you may be entitled to sick pay from your employer. There is no law that states an employer must pay sick pay, other than the employee's statutory entitlement to SSP, Statutory Sick Pay, which is a National Insurance contribution benefit.

Some private companies offer sick pay as a part of the contract of employment. These provisions vary. Other private companies may offer non-contractual sick pay schemes which are commonly known as ex gratia payments.

You may lose your job for a variety of reasons. The company may close or have to make redundancies. You may lose your job for another contractual reason or because you have done something wrong and have been dismissed through the disciplinary procedure. If you lose your job you need to understand your rights and what to do next.

Notice pay

There are a number of migrant support groups that can offer advice and help with form filling and signposting to appropriate groups.

The scheme allows workers from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) to enter the United Kingdom to do seasonal agricultural work for farmers and growers. This work is low skilled and includes:

Craigavon Industrial Development organization (CIDO) is a Government funded organization based in the Craigavon area created to promote enterprise. All their support is independent and impartial and most services are provided free of charge.  
They can help with advice about:

Starting up the business

  • Taxes, returns, payroll
  • How to exploit ideas
  • Import and export advice
  • How to grow your business

They also provide: