Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions - Right to Reside

Czech Republic, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Slovenia, Slovakia, Poland, and Hungary
• Since 1 May 2004 workers from these new EU member states have been free to come to the UK and access the UK labour market.
• They are required to register employment with the Home Office through the Workers Registration Scheme (WRS) within 1 month of starting work in order to be working legally in the UK.
For more information –

Romania and Bulgaria are A2 countries
•Joined 1 January 2007 and have many of the same rights as other EEA nationals but with some restrictions.
•They have limited access to UK the labour market and do not have a “right to reside” as a worker unless they have permission to do so under the Home Office’s Worker Authorisation Scheme.
•Skilled workers will continue to be permitted to come to the UK on work permits (e.g. doctors, engineers) and will continue to be admitted under the Highly Skilled Migrants Programme.

If you want to work in the United Kingdom, you should check that your status allows you to do so before taking up employment. Not everyone who comes to the UK is allowed to work. You can check if you are allowed to work by looking at the stamp in your passport. Examples of passport stamps can be found on the Immigration and

IOM is an independent organization working in partnership with a number of refugee advice agencies throughout the UK. IOM can provide you with assistance for a dignified and orderly return to your home country. Additionally IOM may be able to help you settle in your home country with Reintegration Assistance; this would depend on your individual circumstances. All enquiries will be treated confidentially. You need not give your name to receive free advice.

How you can apply?

EU member states that were part of the EU before 1st May 2004 or that became EU members on that date but with full EU rights are: Malta, Cyprus, Luxemburg, Austria, Belgium, Germany,Ireland, France, Sweden, Spain, Greece, Portugal, Italy, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Netherlands, and the UK.
In order to come to live and work in the UK as an EU national with full rights you will need a valid identity card or passport.

Free and confidential immigration advice and representation are available from the organizations listed below. All are voluntary organizations, independent of the Immigration Service and the Home Office. Interpreters can be arranged if necessary.