Skip to main content

What if I am unable to pay the rent?

Posted in

Housing benefit is a benefit paid by the Northern Ireland Housing Executive (NIHE) and can cover all or part of your weekly/monthly rent. It is paid to those on a low income or receiving other benefits such as income support or jobseekers allowance.

To make a claim, ask your local NIHE office for a housing benefit application form. You can get help completing it from your local Citizen’s Advice Bureau or community support offices.

• When you make a claim keep a copy of your form and any letters you send or receive.
• If you have already applied for housing benefit but do not think you are getting the right amount, contact your local NIHE office or the Citizens Advice Bureau and ask them to do a benefit calculation for you.
• You may also be entitled to backdated housing benefit which could reduce the arrears that have built up. Ask your local authority if you are entitled to backdated housing benefit.

In some areas, housing benefit is paid directly to the landlord from the local authority; in others it is paid directly to the tenant who must then use the money to pay the landlord. Check with the NIHE how they operate payments.

Northern Ireland Housing Executive

Portadown Office
41 Thomas Street   
BT62 3AF                         

Lurgan office
12 Hill Street
BT66 4BH

Telephone Contacts:

Main Number

03448 920 900

Repairs Line

03448 920 901

Housing Benefit

03448 920 902