Skip to main content

What to do if things go wrong?

Posted in

There are a number of migrant support groups that can offer advice and help with form filling and signposting to appropriate groups.

Craigavon Intercultural Programme  (CIP) 
16a Mandeville Street.                                                                                                              Portadown                                                                                                                                                  
BT62 3NZ                                                                                                                                          
Tel 028 3839 3372                 

E-mail General  -   
Portuguese  -
Lithuanian  -
Polish  -

South Tyrone Empowerment Programme  (STEP)
Dungannon Office 
Unit T7  2 Coalisland Rd
Dungannon BT71 6JT
Tel 028 8772 9002   Fax 028 8772 9008

Portadown Office
Unit 6 Mayfair Business Park
Garvaghy Rd
Portadown BT62 1HA 
tel 028 3839 9595   Fax  028 3833 3955

Northern Ireland Council for Ethnic Minorities (NICEM) 
3rd floor, Ascot House
24-31, Shaftsbury Square
Belfast,  BT2 7DB
Tel 028 9023 8645   E-mail:

Multi Cultural Resource Centre MCRC
9 Lower Crescent,
Belfast,  BT7 1HP
Tel 028 9028 8277   E-mail:

Further information may be obtained from :
National minimum wage helpline  tel 084 565 0007

Home Office / worker registration  Tel  087 052 10224

Recruitment  and Employment Confederation (REC) Tel 020 7462 3260

Licenced Agency Register: tel 020 7242 6777

Income Tax Form Order Line Tel 084 590 00404

Transport and General Workers Union (TBWU)
Transport House                                                                                                                                  
102 High Street                                                                                                                                           
Belfast BT1 2DL                               
Tel    028 9023 2381

You can get free, confidential and independent advice at a local:

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB). Tel 083 835 3260/ 028 3832 3571

They give general advice and can refer you to a specialist adviser if you need one. You may need to make an appointment to see someone, and there may be a waiting list. They may not be able to provide an interpreter. Their website holds information in Bengali, Chinese (Simplified), Czech, Estonian, Gujerati, Hungarian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Polish, Punjabi, Slovak, Slovenian, Urdu, English, and lists of local CAB.

Community Legal Advice is a national advice service. They can tell you where to find your nearest adviser. Their website holds free leaflets in several languages. They also give free advice if you are eligible for legal aid (they will tell you if you are eligible). They will provide an interpreter if you need one.

Tel: 0845 345 4345 Open 9am-6.30pm Monday-Friday

Multikulti is a multilingual advice website. They have information in Albanian, Arabic, Bengali, Chinese (Simplified), Farsi, French, Gujerati, Somali, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, and Urdu

National Debtline is a national service providing free, confidential and independent advice on debt problems. Call them free on 0808 800 4000 (Open 09am-9pm Monday to Friday, 09.30am-1pm Saturday)