Skip to main content

What about the worker registration scheme?

Posted in

Any national of the A8 countries (Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia or Slovenia) who wishes to work in the UK must register under the WRS.

The WRS is required for the first 12 full months of employment in UK.

You need to complete a Workers Registration Scheme (WRS) application form, which can be downloaded  from: or Tel: 0117 344 1471 (this number is only for application forms, not for enquiries about the scheme).

The application form is in English, but the guidance notes are available in 9 different languages. The registration process can not be started until the Home Office has received your full payment. Your fee will be refunded  if  the Home Office refuses or withdraws your application.

You will need to forward a letter from your employer confirming your starting date, your passport or ID card along with 2 passport size photographs.

The registration fee is £90 and covers the 12-month perod of employment in the UK, and you will be issued with a registration card and certificate.

How to pay?
You can pay by cheque, postal order or by credit or debit card. It can take up to five days for some payments to clear. Cheques should be made payable to 'Home Office'

When should I register?
You should apply to register with the Worker Registration Scheme as soon as you arrive in the UK and start working . You should not apply until you have started work.
If you do not apply within one month of starting a job, your employment will be unlawful after that date. 
In order to obtain the right to live and work in the UK you must work continuously for a period of 12 months which may include periods of employment with a number of employers.  (You are permitted 2 weeks break between employments)
If you have more than one job at the same time, you will need a registration certificate for each employer you are working for.
Once you have been working legally in the United Kingdom for 12 months without a break you will no longer need to register on the WRS. You can then get a registration certificate confirming your right to live and work in the United Kingdom (EEA1 form), although you are not obliged to do so. 

What if I change my job?
Each time you change your employment within your first 12 month working in the UK you will need to forward a WRS application form to the Home Office, quoting your WRS reference number. However you do not need to pay another fee or send a passport or ID card.
You will be issued with a new certificate naming your new employer and a copy to your new employer. You should keep the new certificate as well as your original certificate and photo registration card.

a) Work for employment agency
If you are working for an agency they may send your form to the HO for you. But the Agency will charge you the £90 registetion fee. Sometimes the agency will deduct this amount from your pay over a period of months -  confirm payment method with agency.
If you are working for an employment agency, but change jobs while working for the same agency, you will not need to apply for a new registration certificate unless there is a break of more than one week between jobs.

To request WRS forms
Tel: 0117 344 147

For more info;
Tel: 0870 521 0224