Skip to main content

What about car tax?

Posted in

To drive a vehicle or ride a motorcycle legally in the UK you must display a current tax disc. This shows that Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) (also known as car tax) has been paid so that the vehicle can be used on the public road. Costs vary  for a car or motorcycle, depending on CO2 emissions and fuel type for vehicles registered on or after 1st March 2001. For vehicles registered before that date, the car tax payable is dependent on the cubic capacity of the engine.

If a vehicle is permanently imported, it must become a UK registered vehicle and taxed as soon as possible after it arrives in the country. The vehicle should not be used or kept on public roads until it has been registered and taxed.

When your vehicle is registered with Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLNA) you should receive an automatic reminder (form V11) that your car tax is due to expire. You can use the V11 to tax your vehicle at a Post Office, online or by phone.

You will need the fee, a current car insurance certificate and MOT certificate to do this.

If your car tax is due and you have not yet received a V11, you must still tax your vehicle using a V10 form accompanied by the registration certificate of the car, a current car insurance certificate, MOT certificate and the fee.

You may use a vehicle displaying a foreign number plate providing that all taxes (including vehicle excise duty) are paid in the country of origin. This allows you to use the vehicle on UK roads for 6 months only in a 12-month period.

Information provided by DVLA

Find your nearest DVLA local office