Skip to main content

How to register a child at school?

  • If you are moving to UK and you have school age children (age 4 – 16 years) you need to apply for a school place.
  • You can go to the local school and talk to the head teacher. If there is a place available you can take an admission form to complete and return to the local Education Authority.
  • Or go direct to the local Education Authority to find your local school. You will need to give details about your name, your children’s names and your address.
  • If your local school is already full, the Admissions Team will advise you which school has a place available. You may make an appeal for a place at the school of your first choice.
  • You will get a letter from the Admissions Team asking you to contact the head teacher of the school where there is a place available.
  • If you have a school report for your child from your home country, please bring it to the school interview.
  • If you decide to return to your country or you move to another area, please tell the school.

For further information contact:

Support team for ethnic minorities   Tel  028 3752 0723

Education Welfare Officer (EWO)   then click on Northern Ireland