Skip to main content

About driving a foreign car?

Posted in

In the UK, as you probably know, people drive on the left hand side of the road. Speed limits are shown in miles; 1 mile =1.60 kilometres. For complete information on driving rules in the UK, please consult the Highway Code.

If you have EU plates and you want to drive your car from abroad in the UK, you can do so for 6 months in a 12-month period with the condition that all taxes are paid in the country of origin. After the 6 months you must register and tax your car with DVLA. You can register your vehicle at your local DVLA Office.

If the police stop you, it is your responsibility to prove how long the vehicle has been in the UK and that you can use the vehicle in this country without registering and/or taxing it. You can prove how long the car has been in the UK by showing the ferry or channel tunnel train tickets.

If you have Non-EU driving plates, you will need to contact Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) and get an HMRC Notice 3 Document.

Information provided by DVLA

In order to drive your car in the UK it must be properly insured. Check with your car insurance provider from your home country whether your current policy covers you whilst driving abroad and for what period of time. If their insurance does not cover you whilst driving in the EU, buy appropriate insurance, because driving in the UK without a current and valid insurance policy is a serious offence.

If your car insurance from your home country expired whilst you are in the UK, you must purchase car insurance in the UK.